Monday, January 22, 2007

Esther Phillips, part 2

For those of you able to see the Esther Phillips thing on YouTube that I linked to, here’s another thing that grabbed me about it. (For the others, too, but you might not have the visual image required to make sense of the following statement.) Watching her, you know she’s just bursting to move and shout. Just look at it again and watch her arms. She’s just ready to explode, but the song won’t let her.
So, do yourselves a favor. Go to iTunes, type “Try Me Esther Phillips,” and buy the song.
Here are the lyrics (quite frankly, I was at a loss how to punctuate the thing. Most words needed a sort of exclamation mark after them):

Try Me

If you really wanna know if I can stand your brand of love,
Try me.
Why don’t you try me?
If you wanna know if I’m affected by the moon above,
Then try me.
Come on and try me.
Don’t you know my heart feels a strong desire
When I’m thrilled by the warmth of your touch?
Baby, don’t you know my soul’s on fire,
And I need your lovin’ so much.

If you really wanna know if I am longing for your kiss,
Then try me.
Why won’t you try me.
If you think that I’ll get weak in a cozy spot like this,
Please try me.
I beg you, try me.
If you’re wondrin’ ‘bout the magic in stars and soft caresses
There’s only one way to know if it’s right:
Just take me in your arms, baby, and try, try me tonight.

[sax solo]*

Don’t you know my heart feels a strong desire
When I’m thrilled by the warmth of your touch?
Baby, don’t you know my soul’s on fire,
And I need your lovin’ so much.
Just take me your arms and try me tonight
I want you to take me in your arms, and come on, and try me tonight
I beg you, try me, try me, try me, try me tonight.

* Poor guy, having to follow that. The solo’s a bit of a letdown. But what can you do in such little time to match that? Wouldn’t it be great to have a solo start for a few bars and then have the guy put down the horn and say, “[Expletive,] Esther, you’ve got to give me more [expletive] room than that.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lyrics!

The sax solo definitely is a bit of a letdown though the rest of the song makes up for it. That "take me in your arms baby" line has me dying every time I hear it. What a woman..

Anonymous said...

've been tryin to download it from utorrent and nothing... has anyone downloaded it btw? can you help me?

Goedi said...

I'm not sure what the "it" is: the brief video (which is no longer there) or the song. Don't know how to help you. Don't even know how to get in touch with you to try.
Good luck.