Friday, August 04, 2006

Bigotry

It's a proud American heritage, why not embrace it?
I'm kidding, of course. My only encounter with "No Irish Need Apply" is from Mark Twain's Roughing It, in which it appears as a brainless slogan shouted out in order to pick a fight. Or put one's dukes up or whatever. It's so archaic, though, that I wish someone would try it and see what sort of response it engenders. Not me, of course.
As to "others of the same kidney," I'm still not sure that can be beat. But I welcome suggestions.
Boring, common alternatives, are:
others of the same cloth
others of the same ilk
others of the same persuasion
color? is that one?
How about:
others of the same tax bracket
others of the same pant size
others of the same I.Q.
others of the same hair colorist
others of the same dietary restrictions
ah, the possibilities are seemingly endless. It seems to be something that needs to be tailored to the situation.
Generically, however, I still vote for kidney.

No comments: