Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Toe-tapping depression

One of the things that linger from my musical education is that I still, occasionally, get obsessed with a song.
Thanks to Liam McEneaney’s blog, I’m now obsessed with “Buttercup.” Just ask Julie, she doesn’t like the song, so she just rolls her eyes whenever I bust out with “WHAA do you build me up (build me up), Buttercup, baby just to let me down (let me down) mess me around…mumble, mumble…I need you (I need you) more than anyone, darlin’” etc.
Liam posted a YouTube video of The Foundations doing this song and defied me (anyone, really) to not smile and tap some toes.
True enough.
But this, it turns out, is one of those songs that has messed up my relationships with females for a long time. (Which is just another way of saying what Julie says about the song: the words are stupid.)
So here’s a first, I’ll try to link a YouTube thingie for a similar song – for me. The Supremes (bad Diana-Ross-posture and all – I don’t know if Ed Sullivan or Diana Ross has the worse hunchback here) doing The Happening.

See, Motown songs have this weird knack of linking the most uplifting tunes with lyrics of people getting dumped or let down or stood up* or dying of a terminal illnes. "Dip-dip-de-doo, Brain-cancer. Dum-boo-wee, only ten more weeks."
As a result, I was never happy in a relationship until I could snap my fingers, bop my head, go “whoo-ooo” and be thrilled about being alone on a weekend, waiting by the telephone, ooo-ooo (ooo-ooo) WHAA do you build me up...

*This, incidentally, seems like the beginning to a Country Song, "Stand me up or let me down, just don't leave me hanging in the balance."

No comments: