Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Subway poster

We went to the New York Aquarium yesterday. All in all, it was a fun trip.
There was an awkward moment on the subway. Julie and I both saw something we didn’t want the kids to see and also wanted to express our outrage at the idiocy of the whole thing. Luckily, we think alike sometimes, so it went well. We had our superior chuckle and outrage and the kids didn’t notice.
Although I had my camera, there’s no picture because I didn’t want to draw attention to it. And I couldn’t find it online, so you’ll have to take my word for it.
It was an ad to caution kids against subway surfing. It had a picture of a kid standing in the doorway of a moving subway, on the outside of the train. There was a caption that said something like, “This may be the last ride you ever take.”
Now I ask you. If you were in the meeting of the MTA, would you give this project a green light?
And if so, how many kids who have done it before, do you think, would see the ad and say, “Good point. I got lucky so far, but now I think I’ll stop”?
On the other hand, how many kids who have not done it, do you think, would see the ad and say, “You know, that doesn’t look so hard”?
And finally, how many kids who have never conceived of such an idea, do you think, would see the ad and say, “Can I do this, too, daddy? Please!?!”?

No comments: