Thursday, October 12, 2006

Anniversary

Whoa. Guess what.
Ten years ago - TEN, can you believe it? - Julie and I stood before a Justice of the Peace (misnamed, given all the bickering he inaugurated) and said, “Huh? What?”
We had got to the point in our lives where we realized that the benefits of joint health insurance outweigh any kind of political or moral or wait-till-something-better-comes-along-ical stance and in a matter of days – 24 hours, actually, following Illinois law – we were married.
Regrets? Really, only that we didn’t have the winos outside the Chicago courthouse take an overpriced, out-of-focus Polaroid of out dazed faces.
If I may be a little sappy now: The ten-year point seems to be (at least for me, but I think I speak for both of us, and that is my point) a GREAT F-ing period in the marriage. We’ve gotten used to one another. We seem to know each other’s thoughts and feelings but still know enough to inquire about them anyway – no taking for granted. We feel comfortable, fairly confident, forgiving, generally happy, and we haven’t reached the “in sickness” hurdle yet. And the kids, as much as they seem to steal time from us, only help things.
I love you, Julie!

8 comments:

Goedi said...

I have no idea what you're talking about.
- Julie

Anonymous said...

And I'm so glad you got married too! I love you both, and the kids.......

green clementine said...

Congratulations! I wish you both many more years of happiness.

Anonymous said...

OK, I do know what you're talking about, but as half of the "Bickersons", I need to point out that there was a 48 hour waiting period. But I also need to tell you that I love you. You really are the cutest boy in the whole world.

Goedi said...

hey, did you know that the Bickersons is the name of a sitcom-type show with Don Ameche (and some woman whose name I don't remember)? Are you sure about the 48 hrs? You mean like Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy? Which one are you?

Anonymous said...

Jules when you said it was your anniversary you didnt say 10! congrats to both of you.

Goedi said...

Gary D! Send me an email. Say Hi to Richard and Rascal and the rest of your menagerie.

Anonymous said...

if you know any cute single boys between the age of 25 and 32 with health insurance, please do let me know...

...oh, and congrats. (c: