Monday, March 24, 2008

Madge Monday

Good Friday. The kids were off from school. We happened to be walking by a church on the way to the grocery store and Madge asked – are you ready? – “Does perfect exist?”
The answer I was aiming for way, “Only if Existence is a condition of Perfection.” But I realized that might be aiming a little high, even for our eight-and-a-half-year-old.
So I stammered for a while and said that the idea of perfection exists, since the word exists. And then I said something about being able to imagine a perfect circle and that we as imperfect beings are probably unable to be judges of perfection and that this is where the idea of divinity comes in.
Madge, sweet thing, didn’t even try to change the subject while I was rambling.
And Coco was busy balancing on some raised bricks.

No comments: