Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Madge extension

Yesterday, though titled Madge Monday, was really Coco-heavy, so here's something to make up for it, as told by Julie:

So how is a parent supposed to respond to a conversation starter like “My shoe fell in the toilet today”?
This was said very matter-of-factly, I might add.
My brilliant response? “Do you need new shoes?”
I didn’t even think to ask how it happened. I’m more concerned with the fact that my daughter seems willing to wear a shoe that fell in a toilet. That her best friend had just peed in.
See, apparently, Madge was kicking at her best friend under the bathroom stall at school today and her shoe just happened to fly off and land in the toilet after her friend was finished. Luckily, her friend is a good sport and fished said shoe out of the toilet. When asked if she had told her teacher what happened, Madge scornfully replied “NO!” as if that were the dumbest question ever. Instead, she simply rinsed the shoe off, dried it with a paper towel and went back to class.
So I guess I should be happy that she’s not a princess and is the smart, resourceful, practical girl she is – but part of me (the part that loves Nordstrom and the shoe department at Saks – well, who wouldn’t love a shoe department so big that it has its own zip code?) keeps thinking, isn’t this a GREAT excuse for a new pair of shoes? Hmmm… I wonder if I can try this at work tomorrow.




The thing that Julie still doesn't understand is: why isn't this girl trying to get at least one new pair of shoes out of this event? If not two in order to have a spare in case it ever happened again.

And, for those interested, here's how it happened. Apparently Madge was doing some karate kicks under the stall door at her friend. Madge's shoe flew off, the friend ducked and... splash. And here's the kicker (so to speak): the FRIEND fished the shoe out of the pee. The friend is obviously a keeper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't there another shoe story with Madge kicking and something happened to her shoe. I think a new pair was gotten at that time. I hope you have insurance when one of her shoes goes flying into a window and it gets broken. Mama