Friday, October 02, 2009

new tricks

I was thinking of doing something new this month, inspired by a "contest" I participated in online.
Take a line from a poem and make a new poem out of it. Brief, don't worry. I won't stretch your limited patience.
I figured I'd do it with poets whose birthday it happens to be, but I was thwarted right away. Yesterday was the birthday of one Blanche Oelrichs, who wrote under the pseudonym Michael Strange, and one Louis Untermeyer. And none of the lines of theirs that I could find online spoke to me in the way I hoped.
So I tried again today, which happens to be the birthday of Wallace Stevens. Happy Birthday, Wally. Here goes:

On Observing Teens Needle the Portly Security Guard at the Library

Oh! How cruel, how cruel,
those teens who've got nothing to do after school.
But I do vaguely recall the day
when getting a rise out of strangers was considered play.
And now I wish I'd had a video recorder.
Oh! The blessed rage for order.


ps. If you want to now which of the lines isn't from me and/or where I got it, let me know in the comments. If I had prizes to give away, I'd make it a contest. But I don't, so I won't.

No comments: