Thursday, May 11, 2006

Headline

This is an actual headline from the International Herald Tribune:

158 years later, France recalls end of slavery

What editor let that slide? I know I’m too much of a "creative" reader, but still, “remembers” or “reflects on” gets the intended point across. Isn’t that worth a few extra letters? As it stands, the story that follows could be something like this:

Fed up with strikes and labor disputes, France’s department of the interior, in a closed meeting, overturned its 158-year ban on slavery (a 34-31 decision, in overtime, with twelve abstentions). “It’s about time we taught these good-for-nothing kids a lesson,” said ... "And our immigrant problem," added ...
[It turns out I’m completely ignorant of French politics and politicians, otherwise this would be a brilliant piece of
Onion-type satire. As it is, I’m tired, and I ask you to forgive me and fill in the remaining text yourselves.]

No comments: