Friday, June 04, 2010

edge of your seat

In Coco's class, the feature of this month's Family Friday was "Edge of Your Seat" stories, stories written and illustrated by the first graders. Madge's (four years ago) was, I think, about the time Coco was briefly lost in Las Vegas. (More like misplaced at a buffet, but still.)
Many of the kids' stories feature adventures involving swimming and, with retroactive memory being what it is, near-drowning experiences.
Coco's was about the time he "Almost got hit by a car." I had the privilege of typing it up, so I already knew the contents. And I didn't agree with some of the facts as they are reported to have transpired, but oh well. I didn't bring it up.
Among the things I didn't agree with was that I apparently said to him, after he was in safety (the danger was never really that great because the car was fairly distant, but the point was there and I admit I harped on it for effect - I figured it was a learning experience), anyway, I was supposed to have said, "You ought to be ashamed of yourself."
I said no such thing, nor would I. Ninja, please.
When Julie asked him about it, Coco freely admitted making that part up to make the story better.
Tell that to all the parents who read his piece and now won't talk to me anymore.*



*I embellished that bit, too, for effect. So I can't really blame him now, can I?

No comments: